Be a part of our incredible work in Kansas City and join our team of passionate, dedicated artists, administrators and non-profit professionals. Current openings for full- and part- time career opportunities will be posted below:
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
Kansas City Repertory Theatre (KCRep) invites applications and referrals for the position of Director of Marketing and Communications.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is a member of the senior management team, reporting to the Executive Director. The Director develops and implements all marketing and communications strategies, with the goal of increasing ticket sales and attendance for all KCRep shows and events and delivering a positive brand experience that earns support for the KCRep mission. The Director works in conjunction with other members of the KCRep team to plan the theatre season and develop program offerings.
- Direct the day-to-day operations of the marketing staff in service of the overall institutional needs of KCRep, including development and education activities, to help create a dynamic public image for the organization.
- Develop and implement all marketing and communications activities, including media relations, publications and advertising to support KCRep‘s strategic mission and long-range plan to increase awareness, ticket sales and attendance at KCRep events and concerts.
- Administer a strategically driven subscription, group, and single ticket sales program to meet institutional needs for earned revenue and attendance, using direct mail, social media, email marketing, digital, print, radio and TV advertising, e-commerce, PR, special events/receptions, and promotions.
- Oversee brand development and assure consistent implementation is all areas with input of KCRep constituencies, management team and orchestra leadership.
- Oversee KCRep’s digital advancement program including website and e-commerce, advertising, social media, and permission marketing.
- Prepare and maintain operating budgets for marketing and communications activities, and develop revenue and expense budgets. Work with the Director of Finance on budget assumptions, documentation, and analysis. Prepare financial forecasts and reports.
- Create and implement patron loyalty and retention initiatives.
- Oversee the timely development and production of all marketing and promotional materials for subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns, individual concerts, tours, educational and community activities and other KCRep events.
- Cultivate relationships with members of the news media locally, nationally and internationally; and developing and execute media and PR plans.
- Supervise negotiation and maintain contact with outside vendors for direct mail, design and printing services; advertising, etc., to ensure competitive pricing and the quality of their work.
- Represent the KCRep to constituencies such as the Kansas City Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. Collaborate with other cultural and community organizations in arts advocacy support.
- Develop a robust research program on marketing trends and best practices.
Attributes and Qualifications
The ideal Director of Marketing is an outgoing and confident leader and collaborator. (S) is a natural strategic planner who activates the latest best practices and innovations in performing arts marketing. (S)he relies heavily on data to drive decision-making. (S)he has the capacity to contribute a marketing-driven perspective to programming conversations. (S)he demonstrates a strong aesthetic sensibility, creative vision, and a genuine interest in trying new methods and approaches. The Director is a creative, inclusive, and appropriately risk-tolerant leader who inspires a dedicated staff that produces high-quality work in a complex, fast-paced environment. The director cultivates a culture of hard work, mutual respect and ongoing learning. (S)he is an enthusiastic advocate for the Kansas City community.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Passion for and deep knowledge of theatre
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, business, arts administration or related field, or equivalent experience
- At least three years of experience managing, mentoring, and motivating a staff in a team-oriented environment
- Experience with event sales, ticketing, pricing, and inventory management, preferably in the performing arts
- Experience creating and executing successful integrated, multi-channel sales and marketing campaigns
- Strong knowledge of and commitment to audience development and retention
- Success building a digital and social media program
- Demonstrable commitment to database and market research, including analysis and interpretation of data for ongoing optimization of marketing plans
- Demonstrable experience with institutional and product brand development and activation
- Understanding of patron services principles and a genuine commitment to serving diverse populations
- Well-honed PR and communications capabilities
- Track record of accurate financial management and reporting
- Strong project management experience, preferably using project management software
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of ticketing software (Tessitura is a plus), Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
The salary is competitive with other organizations of comparable size and stature, and commensurate with the appointee’s qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is provided that includes medical, dental, long-term disability, life insurance, supplemental insurance and 401(k) retirement plan with employer match.
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting is conducting this search on behalf of KCRep. Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, list of at least three references (name, email, phone number, and relationship), and salary requirements, electronically and in confidence, to:
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting
350 Cabrini Blvd, 6J
New York, NY 10040
A review of prospective candidates will commence immediately, and continue until the position is filled. Candidates of interest will be contacted. We regret that we’re unable to follow up with every candidate. No phone calls, please.
BOX OFFICE REPRESENTATIVE
KCRep is in search of an enthusiastic and friendly individual to staff our multi-venue Box Office in a full-time capacity. This key role serves as a front-facing ambassador for phone and in-person single ticket and subscription sales, and is a vital player in the ongoing success of the organization. Qualified candidates should be able to provide excellent customer service and have basic Microsoft Suite experience. A love of the arts, and enthusiasm for selling and processing ticket requests from our beloved patron base will set you apart. Evening and weekends are required for this benefit eligible position. Interested candidates may apply by sending cover letter and résumé to: Andrew Cotlar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Development
Kansas City Repertory Theatre is seeking an exceptional development professional who will join KCRep’s leadership team to lead the region’s flagship theatre to its next level of artistic success and community engagement.
The Director of Development (DoD) is a member of the leadership team, reports directly to the Executive Director, and also works closely with the Artistic Director and Board. The position is responsible for providing innovative leadership and strategic vision to all aspects of KCRep’s fund-raising program. The DoD will supervise a full-time staff of four direct reports and serves as the primary liaison to the Board’s Development and Governance Committees.
The Director of Development will:
- With the executive leadership of the theater, establish and execute a strategic and comprehensive development plan that will support the operating and capital needs of the theater for the present and the long term.
- Aggressively lead and direct the organization and implementation of the theater’s fund raising from individual, corporate, foundation, and government sources. Key initiatives include the ongoing identification and cultivation of individual, foundation and corporate donors, with particular focus on accessing new constituencies and major gift development, and an increased emphasis on the effective stewardship of donors.
- Work with the theater’s executive leadership to motivate and strengthen the Board in its role in development; expand, manage and coordinate the directors’ and other volunteers’ involvement in fundraising activities; take an active role in serving and supporting the Board, Development Committee, and other Board committees.
- Work closely with staff, directors, and other volunteers to maximize the effectiveness of the theater’s special events, which range from small cultivation events and opening night parties to an annual gala, in order to help develop, attract, and retain donors.
- Foster ongoing, collegial relations among the development department and other departments of the organization and help integrate a culture of philanthropy at KCRep.
- Mentor, and supervise an effective and professional development team and support staff, and recruit and replace as necessary, in consultation with the theater’s Executive Director.
- As a representative of KCRep, take an active role in the community and cultivate key relationships and associations with centers of influence within the city, state and region.
- Supervise and manage the research and preparation of all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals, and oversee grant administration and reporting.
- Manage and oversee the formation and maintenance of necessary development reports and records; prepare and manage the department’s financial reports and budget; monitor budget and control expenditures.
The successful candidate must:
- Be a highly accomplished and well-rounded fund raising professional with proven ability in raising leadership and transformational gifts for all purposes- capital, operating, endowment and programs – and a demonstrated track record in the management of successful development programs, successfully soliciting and closing gifts, and staff and volunteer management.
- Be a strategic leader with solid experience in managing, mentoring and motivating staff, and the ability to inspire those working with him/her toward accomplishing common objectives.
- Be a strategic thinker masterful at balancing detailed priorities and tactics while maintaining a long-term perspective. Be a flexible change agent that embraces the dynamic nature of the function as well as the industry.
- Be a sophisticated, warm, highly personable, mature and discreet individual, with an entrepreneurial mindset, results-oriented work ethic, and diplomacy, who works effectively with directors, donors, volunteers and inside staff and is comfortable dealing with people of wealth, and who relishes taking an active, public role in the cultivation and solicitation of donors, and as a representative of KCRep.
- Understand and support the mission of KCRep, appreciate the important role cultural institutions play in the life of a vibrant community, and have the ability to articulate this mission and role to others.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and experience with fund raising technology and integrated database systems. Experience with Tessitura a plus.
- Have at least five years of progressive fund-raising experience in a not for profit organization, preferably in the arts.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have a genuine interest in the performing arts.
- Be a creative, energetic, and collaborative team player.
- Have a desire to be part of the greater Kansas City community.
Compensation and application process
The salary will be competitive with other theater companies of comparable stature and size.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resumé, and four professional references to KCRep. Materials should be sent electronically (Word or .pdf only) with the applicant’s name included in the subject line with the job title. Application packets should be sent to email@example.com. To download the full career profile, please click here.
Additional Career Information
Career Opportunities at KCRep are also posted to local, regional and national job boards. KCRep is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to supporting diversity and equal opportunity in the workplace.