Assistant Charge Scenic Artist
POSITION: Assistant Charge Scenic Artist
REPORTS TO: Charge Scenic Artist
JOB TYPE: Seasonal approx end-July- beginning of May, hourly with overtime after 40, potential to renew contract
BENEFITS: Health Insurance, 401k
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The Assistant Charge is responsible for assisting in the painting of all scenic elements. In collaboration with the Scenic Designer and the Charge Artist, the Assistant Charge will evaluate designs, techniques, and treatments to accurately translate the designers paint elevations onto completed set pieces. Working alongside the Technical Director, Charge Artist and Lead Carpenter, the Assistant charge will assist in the planning and scheduling of when things get treated and what is needed to complete the build on time and in an efficient manner.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to read, interpret, and build from designer drawings and elevations as assigned by Charge Scenic Artist
- Ability to interpret and build from sketches, photos, video, or other media as assigned by Charge Scenic Artist.
- Ability of create samples in conjunction with the Charge, on an as-needed basis.
- Assist in the mixing of all paint and texture media.
- Assist in the preparation and painting of all scenic elements.
- Assist in the prep and layout of backdrops.
- Assist in the establishment and implementation of all necessary surface texturing.
- Assist the Charge in creation of a workflow calendar.
- Assist in the maintaining of the paint area, including safety, order, cleanliness, and paint equipment.
- Assist in the creation of touchup kits for use during the run of the shows.
- Attend production meetings as necessary.
- Any other tasks as requested by Charge Scenic Artist
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs, comfortable with heights, use a lift, and able to work evenings and weekends.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre or related field.
- 3 years experience in paint preferred.
- Understanding of basic scenery and period styles.
Ideal candidate will have a wide range of paint artisan skills and applicants must have an extensive knowledge of scenic painting techniques and styles, as well as large-scale foam sculpting and coating, and multiple faux-finishing techniques. Ideal candidate is a self-motivated, safety conscious, team player with at least 3 years relevant professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.