The award-winning Kansas City Repertory Theatre has initiated a search for its next Artistic Director. KCRep’s Board of Directors intends to identify and engage the successful candidate by spring of 2019 with full-time employment to commence as soon as is practicable thereafter. The search is being conducted by AlbertHall&Associates. To obtain further information or apply, visit the AlbertHall&Associates website.
Director of Development
Kansas City Repertory Theatre is seeking an exceptional development professional who will join KCRep’s leadership team to lead the region’s flagship theatre to its next level of artistic success and community engagement.
The Director of Development (DoD) is a member of the leadership team, reports directly to the Executive Director, and also works closely with the Artistic Director and Board. The position is responsible for providing innovative leadership and strategic vision to all aspects of KCRep’s fund-raising program. The DoD will supervise a full-time staff of four direct reports and serves as the primary liaison to the Board’s Development and Governance Committees.
The Director of Development will:
- With the executive leadership of the theater, establish and execute a strategic and comprehensive development plan that will support the operating and capital needs of the theater for the present and the long term.
- Aggressively lead and direct the organization and implementation of the theater’s fund raising from individual, corporate, foundation, and government sources. Key initiatives include the ongoing identification and cultivation of individual, foundation and corporate donors, with particular focus on accessing new constituencies and major gift development, and an increased emphasis on the effective stewardship of donors.
- Work with the theater’s executive leadership to motivate and strengthen the Board in its role in development; expand, manage and coordinate the directors’ and other volunteers’ involvement in fundraising activities; take an active role in serving and supporting the Board, Development Committee, and other Board committees.
- Work closely with staff, directors, and other volunteers to maximize the effectiveness of the theater’s special events, which range from small cultivation events and opening night parties to an annual gala, in order to help develop, attract, and retain donors.
- Foster ongoing, collegial relations among the development department and other departments of the organization and help integrate a culture of philanthropy at KCRep.
- Mentor, and supervise an effective and professional development team and support staff, and recruit and replace as necessary, in consultation with the theater’s Executive Director.
- As a representative of KCRep, take an active role in the community and cultivate key relationships and associations with centers of influence within the city, state and region.
- Supervise and manage the research and preparation of all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals, and oversee grant administration and reporting.
- Manage and oversee the formation and maintenance of necessary development reports and records; prepare and manage the department’s financial reports and budget; monitor budget and control expenditures.
The successful candidate must:
- Be a highly accomplished and well-rounded fund raising professional with proven ability in raising leadership and transformational gifts for all purposes- capital, operating, endowment and programs – and a demonstrated track record in the management of successful development programs, successfully soliciting and closing gifts, and staff and volunteer management.
- Be a strategic leader with solid experience in managing, mentoring and motivating staff, and the ability to inspire those working with him/her toward accomplishing common objectives.
- Be a strategic thinker masterful at balancing detailed priorities and tactics while maintaining a long-term perspective. Be a flexible change agent that embraces the dynamic nature of the function as well as the industry.
- Be a sophisticated, warm, highly personable, mature and discreet individual, with an entrepreneurial mindset, results-oriented work ethic, and diplomacy, who works effectively with directors, donors, volunteers and inside staff and is comfortable dealing with people of wealth, and who relishes taking an active, public role in the cultivation and solicitation of donors, and as a representative of KCRep.
- Understand and support the mission of KCRep, appreciate the important role cultural institutions play in the life of a vibrant community, and have the ability to articulate this mission and role to others.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and experience with fund raising technology and integrated database systems. Experience with Tessitura a plus.
- Have at least five years of progressive fund-raising experience in a not for profit organization, preferably in the arts.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have a genuine interest in the performing arts.
- Be a creative, energetic, and collaborative team player.
- Have a desire to be part of the greater Kansas City community.
Compensation and application process
The salary will be competitive with other theater companies of comparable stature and size.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resumé, and four professional references to KCRep. Materials should be sent electronically (Word or .pdf only) with the applicant’s name included in the subject line with the job title. Application packets should be sent to email@example.com. To download the full job profile, please click here.