Be a part of our incredible work in Kansas City and join our team of passionate, dedicated artists, administrators and non-profit professionals. Current openings for full- and part- time career opportunities will be posted below:
Lighting and Projection Supervisor
POSITION:Lighting and Projection Supervisor
REPORTS TO:Production Manager
JOB TYPE:Full time, annual
SALARY RANGE: $45,000-$55,000
BENEFITS: Health Insurance, 401k
The Lighting and Projection Supervisor (LPS) manages all daily aspects of lighting and projection operation and the coordination of technical elements for KCRep. This position directs and supervises lighting and projection personnel, maintains the electrics and projection department’s equipment, and manages the electric shop. The LPS is responsible for supporting the artistic vision of the directors and designers as it relates to the advancement, budgeting, and realization of lighting and projection designs.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision of the Electrics department employees, including staff and over hire as required to fulfill the responsibilities of the department.
- Effectively communicate and work closely with the Lighting Designers, Projection Designers, and Directors to materialize their vision, within financial and scheduling constraints and available resources.
- Maintain effective communication with designers, stage management, and Production Department Heads to ensure smooth installation and operation of all electrics department needs on a production.
- Generate, maintain, and distribute technical specification, drawings, and equipment inventories in a timely manner.
- Create and implement work schedules, timecard approval, and maintenance schedules for staff and over hires.
- Oversee maintenance, repairs, and inventory of all Lighting and Projection systems, equipment, and materials.
- Manage Electrics Department budgets both annual and show.
- Coordinate with other Production Department Heads regarding use of space, show needs/requirements, and all other KCRep needs to ensure all productions are maintained.
- Oversee the Master Electrician in preparation of the light plot and their creation of the required paperwork for load-in.
- Research and locate sources for purchases and rentals of supplies for production specific projects.
- Attend light hang, load-in, focus, Onstage Rehearsals, technical rehearsals, previews, and production meetings as assigned.
- Coordinate with University of Missouri Kansas City theatre faculty in terms of gear usage, needs, and staffing for focus and hang
- Stay up to date on new developments in theatrical lighting and projections technology.
- Preparation and updating of all required paperwork to track lighting designs.
- Maintain accurate payroll records for all Electrics employees.
- Help create and manage the Electrics budget, track expenses, and ensure all invoices and payments for vendors are completed.
- Support and uplift KCRep’s mission, vision, and values, and demonstrate a dedication to the principles of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Anti-racism (IDEA) work
- Attend Production Department Head and any other theater-wide meetings.
- Abide by all Kansas City Repertory Theatre policies and procedures.
- Experience at a professional performing arts company or related field in a supervisory role.
- Practical knowledge of technical theater to include lighting, projections, and rigging practices.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, VertorWorks, Lightwright, AutoCAD, and other theater related software.
- Ability to create and hang lighting and projection plots.
- Programming knowledge of ETC family of consoles also to include moving lights, LEDs, DMX controls, atmospherics, ETC Unison, and Ethernet networking systems.
- Knowledge of the maintenance, troubleshooting, and operation of ETC entertainment control systems.
- Skills in troubleshooting and repair of intelligent lighting fixtures, dimmers, and other electrical equipment to the component level, and to program that equipment via a lighting console.
- Attention to detail, accountability, and deadline oriented
- Ability to create and manage annual Lighting department budget
- Ability to determine and maintain Lighting and Projection production quality standards
- Interpersonal, communication, and supervisory skills
- Capacity to solve problems and engage in creative thinking about challenges; Ability to brainstorm ideas in a group setting.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Work nights, and work weekends and have good daytime and nighttime vision.
Please send your resume to Dan Earnest, Production Manager at email@example.com.
The KCRep Production Department is looking to expand our pool of KC Metro area freelance designers (50 miles radius of KC) for our 20-21 season. Whether you’re a USA designer or not, if live close to KC, we want to know that you are there. Please send all resumes, portfolios, and websites to Dan Earnest, Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Career Information
Career Opportunities at KCRep are also posted to local, regional and national job boards. KCRep is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to supporting diversity and equal opportunity in the workplace.