KC Rep seeks enthusiastic students for internships at Kansas City’s premier nonprofit theatre!
We’re focused on creating opportunities for collaboration between interns and experienced professionals – our interns have real projects and great mentors in our intensive semester-long programs. We are committed to encouraging and guiding our interns through the transition from student to professional, and we tailor every internship experience to our students.
As a nonprofit organization, we are only able to offer unpaid internships. We’re happy to work with your adviser to make sure you get college credit for your experience.
Basic Requirements For All KC Rep Interns:
• Ability to travel to our admin office and/or venues in Kansas City, Mo.
• Available at least 10 hours per week
• Enthusiastic personality and willingness to roll up your sleeves on projects
Education Intern – Summer Youth Theatre Ensemble
Hours: 30-40 hours/week
Ideal Start/End Dates: June 18th-July 21st
Reports to: Director of Education and Assistant Education Director
Compensation: A stipend is available– amount to be determined based on number of internship hours or we are happy to work with you on achieving college credits for the internship.
Kansas City Repertory Theatre’s Education Internship provides a five week opportunity for college students to gain hands-on experience with education programming. The intern will assist with preparation and rehearsal for the Summer Youth Theatre Ensemble. Responsibilities are not limited to, but will include:
- Checking youth artists in and out of each rehearsal
- Conducting research in preparation for rehearsal activities and discussions
- Executing administrative and clerical tasks related to the rehearsal process
- Taking photos & video during rehearsal
- Transcribing script work created by the youth artists
- Coordinating lunch and snacks
- Providing assistance to the teaching artist team during rehearsal
- Build a professional network at a regional theatre
- An opportunity to play an integral role in a youth theatre intensive program
- Acquire hands-on experience in theatre education
- Obtain career skills applicable to a broad range of future endeavors
About the Program:
KCRep Summer Youth Theatre Ensemble is a free summer program open to young artists ages 13-17 in the Kansas City area. SYTE artists engage in an interactive rehearsal process packed full of high-energy games, ensemble-building activities, and playwriting exercises designed to cultivate creative and life skills. Together, they collaborate with KCRep teaching artists to build a performance that is their own and perform it for the public on KCRep’s main stage. No previous theatre experience is required to participate!
- College Sophomore, Junior, or Senior
- Previous teaching experience is preferred
- Previous theatre experience is preferred
- Previous experience working with youth is preferred
- An enthusiasm for the arts
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid organizational skills
- Strong proof-reading and writing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Willingness to accept guidance and training
- A genuine desire to share the arts with young people
Intern schedules are negotiable, but would typically fall between the hours of 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday-Friday. Sometime outside of the 9:00am-5:00pm workweek may be requested.
Applications for the summer internship are due June 4, 2018. Please submit the following materials:
- Cover letter explaining:
- Why you want to serve as an arts education intern at KCRep
- Career goals
- Your interest in Theatre Education
- 2 references
- Schedule of your availability for the summer
All materials should be sent to:
Lydia Fuqua, Assistant Education Director, KCRep
Marketing & Public Relations Internship
Now accepting applications for Spring 2018
Kansas City’s premier nonprofit theatre seeks enthusiastic intern!
You will be a full member of our tight-knit department with real projects and real responsibilities. The only time you’ll be asked to go on a coffee run is as a friend – not a courier. You’ll be welcomed in team meetings and brainstorming sessions, and your ideas will be taken seriously.
Your internship mentor will provide training, guidance, and professional knowledge in the fields of advertising, marketing, and event coordinating. Projects will emphasize community outreach, digital marketing, content creation, advertising, and planning of events.
- College sophomore, junior, or senior
- Majoring in: Marketing or Communication (PR, Hospitality management, Journalism, Mass Media, etc.)
- Ability to travel to our Kansas City, Mo. office (located near the Plaza)
- Committed to working 15-25 hours/week for a full semester during office hours (9am-6pm)
- Enthusiastic personality and willingness to roll up your sleeves on projects
Who We’re looking For:
- Great communication skills – in writing, in meetings, and over the phone
- Experience in WordPress, HTML, CSS, video editing,
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Premier, Final Cut Pro, and Wordfly (or strong willingness to learn)
- Loves marketing/PR and has a passion for storytelling
- A strategic thinker who’s not afraid to pitch a big idea
What You’ll Do:
- Lunch & Learn sessions with staff members to learn more about marketing/PR careers
- Opportunities to network with other organizations in the community
- Research and analyze keywords for PPC advertising campaigns
- Create original behind-the-scenes content (written and multimedia)
- Provide support to social media and webpage efforts
- Organize and execute events for KC Rep
- And much more!
What You’ll Get In Return: College credit through your department. Free theatre tickets for a full year. More portfolio samples than you can shake a stick at. An amazing recommendation letter.
How to Apply: Send a short cover letter (in the body of the email, in your real human voice), your resume, and a link to online portfolio showcasing all your amazing talent (optional, but encouraged) to Kaitlyn Maloney – email@example.com.